Power moves will drain your muscles of energy pretty quickly, so it's all about short sharp stints or hard work followed by long rests. The rest period is designed such that your muscles can refill with energy again before the next set. This ensures you can get the most out of each session.
The workout today consists of 3 rounds of a few exercises. We'll complete 8 repetitions of each exercise, rest for a minute then do the next exercise. Between sets make sure to have enough time to fully recover before starting the next round.
- Squat jumps. Squat down nice and low, getting your bottom as close to the ground as you can, then explode up with rest power and jump as high as you can.
- Power press ups. Just like a normal press up but each time you raise your body away from the ground you need to do it fast and powerful enough to take off a little!
- Jumping lunges. Start off in a forward lunge position, dip nice and deep into the lunge, power your legs up and jump. Whilst in mid air switch your legs around and land in a lunge position with your opposite leg forward.
- Power body rows. A normal body row but this time when you pull yourself up you need to do it with enough power to almost take off. This one's tricky to get the hang off at first but will come with practise.
(And finally for an advanced one if you fancy giving it a go. If not then leave the one out)
- Power press up to squat. This time start in the press up position. Lower yourself and get ready to explode. Push up as hard as you can, make sure you leave the ground. Wilst in mid air bring your feet up and land in a squat position. Hold it for a second then jump and go back into the press up.
This workout will get you working hard, so make sure you have a nice cool down after too! Complete workouts like this to get lean, strong and fast - great if you're looking to get faster than your friends!